Unfortunately ASUS hasn’t released driver updates for the Rampage 3 Black edition for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and although the on-board Realtek chipset drivers are available through Windows Update – one of the selling points of this motherboard combo was the Thunderboard audio interface!
Note: Tested in Windows 8.1 64 bit.
- First you need to download the Windows 7 thunderbolt drivers – “here“
- Download and extract the drivers to a folder
- Press the Windows Key + Pause/Break at the same time to open up your computers System properties
- Click Device Manager on the left hand menu (you need full Administrator rights)
- Navigate down to the Thunderbolt device – it should have an exclamation on it to indicate driver problems – Right click and select Update Driver Software
- Select Browse my computer for driver software
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and click Next
- Navigate down to Sound Devices and click next
- Click Have Disk and navigate to the extracted driver path and select “USBUAA.inf” and click Next
- Select USB device in the Model window and select Next to force Windows 8 to install the Windows 7 Thunderbolt audio driver
- Once installed – restart your computer and you should now have Thunderbolt audio.