Note: This usually needs to be done when the Windows 7 profile has been manually deleted and not properly removed – as Windows 7 uses a security identifier attached to the user account in the registry and this needs to be cleared as well_
Note: It is also recommend making a backup of the registry before this change – and you may need to restart the PC for the registry entry to be able to be removed.
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog window.
- Type in: regedit and press Enter or click Ok
- Press yes to accept UAC prompt.
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList**
- **This lists the SID (security identifier) that is linked to your account – scroll down the list and on the right hand side under CentralProfile and ProfileImagePath find the correct user profile you would like to remove.**
- **Once you have found the correct one – right click the SID key you would like to remove and select Delete.**
- Exit out of the Registry Editor and restart the workstation – the user should now be able to login and generate a new profile folder and security identifier.