Note: The intended guide for this audience is a Help Desk or Service Desk – this is intended for a domain setup with the user having local administration rights on the workstation.
- First, you need to download tool called: Delprof2
(this is a remake of the Microsoft Delprof utility that Microsoft had dropped support & updates for).
- Once downloaded open My Computer/Computer and navigate to c:\Windows\System32 on your local machine.
- Extract the delprof2 zip file & folder and copy DelProf2.exe to the folder you opened earlier – c:\Windows\System32
- Now – open command prompt – click Start, Run and type in cmd and press Enter (For Windows 7 workstations – you can type Command in the search field or press the Windows Key + R to open the run dialog box).
- REMEMBER to make sure the profiles are backed up first – this will completely remove the local cache – use the syntax: delprof2 /u /r /c:computername and press Enter. This will connect to the remote workstation you specified in the “computername” field and remove all locally cached profiles that are not being used. It will also clear up remote registry entries making this a useful & easy tool for clearing up Roaming Profiles in Windows 7-10.
You can also run: delprof2 /u /d:30 /c:computername
Note: What I have done in the past is create a batch script that will clear up remote profiles from workstations & add this to a scheduled task – in conjunction with SCCM disk reporting this is useful for keeping on top of workstation’s HDD space.