Thankfully over the last few years – connecting securely & joining your workstations to the Tor network have become a lot easier – for both Linux & Windows clients. Now with a nifty little application called – Orbit you can easily traffic HTTP (port 80) traffic & other random Android application traffic through the Tor network. Follow the guide below to get your android device & applications running through the Tor network.
Note: This application needs root access for full functionality and is recommend.
- Open Play Store/Google Play on your android device.
- Search for: Orbot.
- Select – Orbot: Proxy with Tor (from The Tor Project) & install it to your Android device.
- Once installed – open Orbot.
- Up the top of the application – click Settings
- Make sure – Start Orbot on Boot is checked.
- Scroll down to Transparent Proxying & make sure Transparent Proxying is enabled – then check Tor Everything to make sure all your application’s network traffic is directed to the Tor network.
- Now – scroll right to the bottom of the settings and make sure in the Debug area – Network Auto-Sleep is checked to reduce battery consumption.
- Go back to the main Orbot home screen and press the large silver power button to start proxying your traffic through the Tor network.
Note: You can confirm the traffic is being proxyed by monitoring the Download & Upload traffic on the bottom half of the Orbot screen.